of Architecture, Art and Design
ISSN (online) 2532-683X
ISSN (print) 2464-9309
SDG 9 | Industry, Innovation and Infrastructure
Goal 9 | Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation
Investment in sustainable infrastructure and in scientific and technological research increases economic growth, creates jobs and promotes prosperity. Infrastructure projects costing billions are in the offing over the next 15 years, particularly in developing and emerging economies. Goal 9, therefore, aims to build resilient infrastructure, promote industrialisation and foster innovation. Increased resource-use efficiency and greater adoption of clean and environmentally sound technologies and industrial processes are necessary to make infrastructure and industries sustainable by 2030. Goal 9 aims to support technology development, research and innovation especially in developing countries, provide small-scale industrial and other companies with greater access to financial services including affordable credit, and increase the integration of these companies into value chains and markets. It also advocates providing universal and affordable access to the internet in the least developed countries of the world.
- Target 9.1 | Develop quality, reliable, sustainable and resilient infrastructure, including regional and transborder infrastructure, to support economic development and human well-being, with a focus on affordable and equitable access for all.
- Target 9.2 | Promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and, by 2030, significantly raise industry’s share of employment and gross domestic product, in line with national circumstances, and double its share in least developed countries.
- Target 9.3 | Increase the access of small-scale industrial and other enterprises, in particular in developing countries, to financial services, including affordable credit, and their integration into value chains and markets.
- Target 9.4 | By 2030, upgrade infrastructure and retrofit industries to make them sustainable, with increased resource-use efficiency and greater adoption of clean and environmentally sound technologies and industrial processes, with all countries taking action in accordance with their respective capabilities.
- Target 9.5 | Enhance scientific research, upgrade the technological capabilities of industrial sectors in all countries, in particular developing countries, including, by 2030, encouraging innovation and substantially increasing the number of research and development workers per 1 million people and public and private research and development spending.
- Target 9.a | Facilitate sustainable and resilient infrastructure development in developing countries through enhanced financial, technological and technical support to African countries, least developed countries, landlocked developing countries and small island developing States.
- Target 9.b | Support domestic technology development, research and innovation in developing countries, including by ensuring a conducive policy environment for, inter alia, industrial diversification and value addition to commodities.
- Target 9.c | Significantly increase access to information and communications technology and strive to provide universal and affordable access to the Internet in least developed countries by 2020.