AGATHÓN | International Journal
of Architecture, Art and Design
ISSN (online) 2532-683X
ISSN (print) 2464-9309
Goal 16 | Promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, provide access to justice for all and build effective, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels
Evidence shows that without peaceful and inclusive communities and effective governance, development cannot be sustainable. For example, conflict-affected countries are the furthest away from achieving the MDGs, whereas in many other countries the re-establishment of peace and accountable institutions has contributed greatly to achieving the MDGs. Goal 16 for 2030, therefore, aims to promote peaceful and inclusive societies. As such, it advocates reducing all forms of violence, ending torture and combating all forms of organised crime. In addition, Goal 16 envisages significantly reducing corruption and bribery as well as illicit financial and arms flows. To ensure that societies are peaceful and inclusive, Goal 16 also aims to promote inclusive institutions and the rule of law and guarantee equal access to justice.
- Target 16.1 | Significantly reduce all forms of violence and related death rates everywhere.
- Target 16.2 | End abuse, exploitation, trafficking and all forms of violence against and torture of children.
- Target 16.3 | Promote the rule of law at the national and international levels and ensure equal access to justice for all.
- Target 16.4 | By 2030, significantly reduce illicit financial and arms flows, strengthen the recovery and return of stolen assets and combat all forms of organized crime.
- Target 16.5 | Substantially reduce corruption and bribery in all their forms.
- Target 16.6 | Develop effective, accountable and transparent institutions at all levels.
- Target 16.7 | Ensure responsive, inclusive, participatory and representative decision-making at all levels.
- Target 16.8 | Broaden and strengthen the participation of developing countries in the institutions of global governance.
- Target 16.9 | By 2030, provide legal identity for all, including birth registration.
- Target 16.10 | Ensure public access to information and protect fundamental freedoms, in accordance with national legislation and international agreements.
- Target 16.a | Strengthen relevant national institutions, including through international cooperation, for building capacity at all levels, in particular in developing countries, to prevent violence and combat terrorism and crime.
- Target 16.b | Promote and enforce non-discriminatory laws and policies for sustainable development.
Nothing has been published in this category yet.